Why should you waste your time being ill with a cold or flu? I am always surprised when people come to my Berkeley Acupuncture Clinic and say that they have had a cold for over a month. Unless you have a compromised immune system, you should be able to get rid of your cold in a few days or a week.
Although I see many patients in my clinic with colds and flu at this time of year, rarely do I get sick. I want to share with you my secrets for staying healthy during the cold and flu season. My staff and I have avoided catching colds many times by using this protocol.
Boost your immune system & stay healthy during the cold & flu season.
Most colds come in stages: sore throat with tiredness and headache, sinus congestion with runny nose, then it goes into the chest with cough and phlegm which could lead to bronchitis.
There is another initial stage when the virus is trying to attack your immune system. If you pay close attention to your body and boost your immune system just as the virus is taking hold, you can drive it away.
How can you tell when a virus is trying to attack your immune system?
When your body feels tired and you have the slightest scratchy throat and maybe a headache, you may be catching a virus and you need to act fast. Also if you have been around other people who are sick, you may be exposed to a virus and you should protect yourself.
How do you boost your immune system?
Follow this protocol for 1-2 days at the first sign of a scratchy throat with tiredness or a headache and also for prevention.
- Take the anti-viral Chinese herbal formulas Gan Mao Ling and Yin Chiao. For tiredness and scratchy throat, take the maximum listed dosage. For prevention take the minimum listed dosage.
(For children or patients with a compromised immune system, please consult your health care practitioner.)
- Take anti-viral zinc lozenges.
- Gargle with hot salt water and 5 drops of GSE (grapefruit seed extract).
- Change your diet for a few days. Eat only vegetables, fruits and a source of protein (meat, fish or eggs). Avoid wheat, dairy, alcohol and sugar. They all increase your phlegm and help the virus take hold.
- For flu with the above symptoms plus nausea, body ache and fever use the above protocol and add the homeopathic remedy Ocsillococcinum and Chinese Curing Pills.
Other Health Tips to help you avoid getting a cold or flu.
- Keep your hands clean.
- Do not touch your face with your hand.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take Vitamin D-3 and Vitamin C supplements daily.
- Come in for acupuncture to boost your immune system.
Do not forget that sunshine also gives you anti-viral protection.
Get some sunshine when you can. Yes, put some sunscreen on your face, but leave your arms and legs exposed to soak up the sun rays. The ultraviolet rays which one absorbs through the sunlight give you anti-viral protection. They boost your Vitamin D levels and help your T-cells fight infection. From November through March you should increase your daily intake of Vitamin D to 2000 IU per day.
Dr. Rakela recommends that you affirm wellness every day, follow the above protocol and you will have more strength to fight off any virus. You, too, will get over your colds and flu quickly or not catch them at all. Call or email us to set up an acupuncture appointment to boost you immune system.